Post-match reviews

Borussia Monchengladbach 1 – 1 Celtic FC game review


In front of 54.000 supporters, the home team Borussia Monchegladbach has hosted the Scottish Champion Celtic FC at the Borussia-Park on Tuesday night, during the round 4 matchup in group C.

Right from the kick-off it was clear that the game will provide a lot of spectacular plays and that the clash two weeks ago could repeat itself once again. The two sides, who met for the first time in their history, showed a great performance at the Celtic Park, in which the visitors took all three points with a 0:2 win. Celtic wanted to revenge that defeat and keep their European campaign alive.


However, it was the hosts who came out strong creating a lot of chances and winning 5 corners in the opening 20 minutes. It was actually in the 20th minutes when the hosts came close to scoring as Stindl connected with a pass inside the box, but his shot was not very precise and was saved easily by Craig Gordon (Celtic)

The visitors saw their first scoring chance in the 24th minute when Scot Sinclair wasted a promising chance, picking up a loose ball just outside the box and curled it towards the goal, but only to find the right post.

But it was the hosts who had the first breakthrough of the match. After an absolutely superb cross inside the box from Thorgan Hazard, the ball connected with Lars Stindl right on the penalty  area who planted the ball past Gordon giving his team a 1:0 lead in the 34th minute!!!


The fans at the Borussia-Park have not seen too much excitement in the remaining minutes of the first half,  as both teams walked off the pitch after the referees signal to end the first interval, in which the hosts saw a well deserved 1:0 lead.

In the second period, the hosts, boosted by the return of Hazard after 5 missed games, looked extremely dangerous as they were constantly looking to make some dangerous attacks towards the opponent’s goal.

Lars Stindl was back in action in the 53rd minute as his strike from inside the box was saved by the keeper. Couple of minutes later, Fabian Johnson (Monchengladbach) saw his fierce strike blocked by the defender, who clearly saves his goal in the 58th minute. Attack after an attack, that was the hosts’ motive in the match, as they gave no room for the visitors to operate the pitch and create some scoring chances. In the 65th minute, Andre Hahn received a nice pass inside the box but his shot hit the crossbar and yet another great opportunity for the hosts was wasted!!!

Finally the visitors took a breathing in the 68th minute when Moussa Dembele came VERY close to scoring from the edge of the box, but his shot was saved by Yann Sommer. This chance seemed to open up some space for the visitors, who seemed more confident as the match was going into the final 20 minutes.

Celtic FC v Manchester City FC - UEFA Champions League

In the 76th minute the visitors scored from a penalty after Julian Korb was given a red card for holding one of the visiting players and the referee Manuel De Sousa had no choice but to signal for a set piece.

Moussa Dembele stepped forward and smoothly converted the penalty with a beautiful shot into the right side of the goal, leveling the score 1:1 in the 76th minute!!!

The visitors strongly pushed forward and could have even scored their 2nd goal of the night in the 87th minute as Patrick Roberts found Callum McGregor inside the box with a brilliant pass, but his shot went just inches wide of the right post.

With no more excitement coming in the final minute, referee De Sousa signaled the end of the match. The hosts were absolutely superior for the most part of the match, while the visitors saw couple of nice attacks in the final 20 minutes. However, the 1:1 draw is probably the most realistic score, which gives both teams hope to continue their performance in one of the European Cups!!!


With 4 rounds down and 2 to go, this is the current ranking in group C:

  1. Barcelona – 9 points
  2. Manchester City – 7
  3. Monchengladbach – 4 points
  4. Celtic – 2 points

Leave a Comment